Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My Love for Romance Novels!

How did you become an avid romance reader? Was there some certain genre that you liked? And if you did start out with a certain one, did you change or just mix it up? I am curious to see what category most of us fall into. I started sneaking romance novels when I was in grade school from my mom. She was an avid reader of the good old Harlequin Romances.
She would purchase a big box of them from time to time at a yard sale. Mom would curl up on the couch after a long day at work and read. That was her way of relaxing. I think I was probably in the 5th grade when I took notice of what she was reading. I would sneak them after she was finished with a book and hide it in my closet or under my pillowcase, so I could read it at night, when my parents were asleep. I was hooked but it still wasn't my "type of romance".
I remember going to the library and looking at the romance section in my middle school years. There were so many historical romances to pick from. The first one that I ever read and still love to this day was, Sweet Savage Eden by Heather Graham. That book was my everything. Lord Jamie Cameron was the man for me. He was cruel at times but loved Jassy from the start. Jassy fight him tooth and nail but finally gave in to him and they lived happily ever after. If you have never read this book, I suggest you grab it! There are more books in this series and I read them all. I think I have read everything that Heather Graham, Catherine Coulter, Kat Martin and Julia Quinn wrote. I bought many of these books (this was long before Kindles) from Amazon and would patiently await their arrival as I got older.

I stopped reading when I was in my early 20s. I had more important things to do besides read. The were bars to go to with friends to drink and have a good time. The guys were also another wonderful thing to keep my mind off reading. But none of these men added up to the heroes from my beloved romance novels. Until one day when I took a step back from the bar scene (that's a whole other blog post)and met my future husband.

My husband and I moved to a new city. I was a alone while he worked long hours. So I found my way to the library. I picked up a historical romance and I was hooked once again. There were so many new authors on the scene. I was a bit overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. I was going to the library every week. The librarians soon knew me by my first name. It was wonderful to be reading again.

I haven't looked back since then! I have read many historical romances but never took the time to give a contemopory book a chance. Then a well known book came out (Fifty Shades of Grey) and my eyes were open to a whole new world. I couldn't devour these books fast enough from the Indie authors. I remember taking my Christmas bonus and purchasing a Nook for myself so I could get these books faster than waiting on hold for them from the library. I still have that Nook just because it holds precious memories of books I love on it. I do fire it up every once in a while if I want to re-read something. I am now on my second Kindle. I wore the first one out. That thing stopped working one day. Poor Kindle gave up from all the years of abuse it had endured! Ha!

I READ everyday. Most of my reading is done at night time to help me unwind from my day, just like my mother did all those years ago when I was a child. My mom still reads everyday too. She is a big Debbie Macomber fan now! And she did read Fifty Shades of Grey but we have never discussed it and I never won't too! Ha!! If I am really into a book and know I won't have time to read at night, I will take it with me to work so I can sit out in my car and read on my lunch break. Reading is my everything! Please comment and let me know all of the above question and if you still read today! Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment